Last Minute Superhero Outfit

Working in early years comes with lots of fun dressing up days. However, both children and staff members can sometimes struggle to find the right dressing up outfit. Recently we had a superhero dressing up day where we completed lots of fun superhero challenges, play and craft. For this event I quickly put together an outfit from what I already had in my wardrobe making it free, reusable and it also saved time. 



To make my last minute super hero outfit, I used:
  •  Old white PE t-shirt with a superhero logo drawn on with sharpie pens.
  •  Green shorts to match the colours on my t-shirt.
  •  Yellow shoes to match the colours on my t-shirt.
  •  Black leggings to go under the shorts.
  •  Green hairbands to fit into my outfits colour scheme.
To make the superhero t-shirt I drew my superhero flash inspired design on to scrap paper to begin with. This allowed me to plan out my design first and then trace it through on to the t-shirt. I used 2 sizes of dinner plates to draw the circles then I used a ruler to draw the lightening bolt. I then slid the paper into the t-shirt and positioned it to where I wanted it. Tracing over the design on to the t-shirt in pencil, before going over and colouring in using sharpie pens.


I set the colour theme of my outfit according to the clothes I already had (green shorts and yellow shoes). Using sharpie coloured pens that match these colours and adapting the flash logo to make it personal and unique to me and the colours I like. The sharpie pen worked well on the t-shirt material however I would not recommend washing it.

You can adapt this idea according to the colour of clothes you have at home or your favourite colour. To make it more personal you could create your own superhero logo using the first letter of your name or alternatively draw out a different well known superhero logo. Older children could even design their own t-shirt to wear as a fun activity to prepare for the dressing up day. This makes a lovely dressing up outfit that is homemade, personal, cheap, fun to put together at the last minute and can be reused.

After creating this dressing up outfit I was inspired to store all of the old white t-shirts I have to use in the future and decorate for different themed dressing up days such as World Book Day, Red Nose Day and Children In Need. This method of putting a dressing up outfit together can work well for all ages and both children and adults.

To complete my outfit I made a superhero mask along with the children and everyone enjoyed the excitement of dressing up!

I would love to see your homemade dressing up outfits on Instagram
Save this idea for a dressing up day on Pinterest

Comments