Creation Children's Ministry

The story of creation with in the bible has fantastic learning opportunities to demonstrate to children that the world and everything in it was created beautifully by God. I explored this with children aged from 0 to 5 years old through craft, play activities and stories.



I began by leading a craft activity to represent creation. I gave the children the freedom to get creative in using the resources available to explore the topic of creation through their art work. Resources I provided included:
  • Paper plates to represent the circle shape of the world.
  • I wrote on the plates the bible verse 'In the beginning God created the world' - Genesis1:1 to remind the children into the future about God's creation and what we learnt during the session.
  • Blue and green crayons to represent the sea and land.
  • Star, leaf and people stickers to show what God created.
However, you could easily adapt the resource list for the age of the children and the craft resources you have available. The children really enjoyed the freedom of this craft because it had little structure with no steps to follow making each of their creations unique reflecting how God created each of us uniquely.


As each child finished their craft they played with this small world set up I put together to represent creation. I had a blue blanket with shells on to look like the sea and a green blanket with flowers, leaf's and animals to look like the land. The children enjoyed exploring this play set up and making their own stories using the animals.

To tell the creation story I took a story box over to the small world play set up and began to tell the story from the children's bible using props to support the children's imagination and immerse them in the story. I took the props out of the box and put them in the small world set up to add to their play and make the connection between the story and the play. Each prop represented a day of creation.

Props I used included:
Day 1 - torch (light)
Day 2 - Rain maker (sky and water)
Day 3 - leaf's (land, sea and vegetation)
Day 4 - Star stickers (stars, sun and moon)
Day 5 - Feathers (fish and birds)
Day 6 - Small world animals and people (animals and people)
Day 7 - Get all of the children to lie down, could introduce a game of sleeping bunnies or sleeping lions (rest)

To finish the session and reinforce learning we played with a blow up globe and put together a giant child freindly world map floor puzzel.

I hope you enjoy my creation themed play and learning activities.

To receive updates on my next blog posts follow my Instagram
Save this idea for later on Pinterest

Comments