My Grandmothers Lunchbox Cherry Cake Recipe

This cherry cake recipe is perfect for children's school packed lunch boxes or to take on a picnic. It is mess free with no icing and holds together well limiting crumbs being spilt down school uniforms. This recipe has been past down 3 generations in my family from my grandmother, to my mum, to me, standing the test of time in many lunch boxes. This cherry cake is quick and easy to make with a simple to follow recipe and it is a great alternative to banana bread. You can double the recipe to batch make 2 cherry cakes and freeze one to use later, saving time and allowing you to produce a tasty treat for lunchboxes at the last minute.



Here is the list of ingredients needed to make 1 cherry cake written out by my grandmother, however this can be easily doubled to make 2 and freeze one for later. 


To make my grandmothers lunchbox cherry cake there is a few simple steps to follow:
  1.  Mix 2 eggs, 6oz of butter and 6oz of caster sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer.
  2.  Add in 8oz of plain flour and 1tsp of baking powder and use the electric mixer to combine.
  3.  TOP TIP - Cover the glazed cherries in flour to stop them sinking to the bottom of the cake, then mix the cherries into the mixture using a wooden spoon.

  4.  Spoon out the mixture into a greased loaf cake tin or 2 if you have doubled it.
  5.  Put in the oven for 1 hour checking it every 20 to 30 minutes on gas mark 3 to 4 or 163C.
  6.  Leave to cool then either cut it into slices perfect for a school lunch box or freeze to use later.


I hope you enjoy baking this lunchbox cherry cake past down 3 generations and that everyone can find joy when its in their lunchbox!

Save this idea on Pinterest to bake the cherry cake again.
Follow me on Instagram to receive notifications on my next blog posts.

Comments